How to Move Channels in Teams? Quick Technique
This article covers how to move channels in Teams, why they are important, and if there is any manual method available. Just go through this write-up to learn the expert’s way of performing this technical operation without any hassle.
Microsoft Channels is an important part of those who work on the Teams as it is a hub for all work-related communication. It helps the organization to keep different departments, projects, & teams in a stream & have a virtual workplace. Channels create a real-world workplace model in Microsoft Teams. There are always changes like the old projects finishing or getting sidelined.
The reason why users want to migrate channels between Teams is that since these projects are changing, the channels representing them should change too. Unfortunately, these channels are not moving since users have no idea how to migrate them.
This is why the channels stay where they are and new channels are created for the projects. Now, this is not such an ideal situation for every organization. So, to save time & effort, people move their channels.
But how? Let’s find out.
6 Quick Steps to Move Channels in Teams
- Step 1. Download & run the tool on your PC.
- Step 2. Select Office 365 as the source and destination.
- Step 3. Check required Teams & Groups’ workloads.
- Step 4. Login with Office 365 admin credentials.
- Step 5. Create mapping for Users Teams and Groups.
- Step 6. Validate required permissions & Start Migration.
Related: How to Perform Office 365 Tenant to Tenant Migration? Step by Step Guided Solution
Unavailability of Manual Method on How to Move Channels in Teams
There is no such manual technique that Microsoft provides to migrate the channels so we are going to learn how the experts do it.
The Professional Microsoft Teams Migration Tool is what the experts use & recommend migrating the channels and all the content they have.
Since the content that these channels store is highly crucial, this is pretty beneficial for users as there are no faults made by the tool.
Find out how the software helps with the process.
Using the Reliable Tool to Migrate Channels Between Teams
Step 1. Run the tool and select Office 365 as your Source as well as Destination. Step 2. Check mark the Teams option & make sure to enable the Teams & Channel creation. Step 3. Fill in the credentials for the Office 365 Admin account in both the windows for Source & Destination. Step 4. Enter the User IDs for mapping using Fetch Teams or Import Teams. Step 5. Then, you need to create Teams at the Destination. Step 6. Now, click on the Validate button and press the Start Migration option to know how to move channels in Teams. Step 7. After doing so, click on the Mark Teams Complete.
Remember: If you want to rerun the migration process in any way, choosing the Mark Teams Complete option will take away the chance of doing so.
Step 8. Move to the Groups tab and enter the User IDs via the Fetch Groups or Import Groups option for mapping.
Step 9. Choose the destination path for it and Validate the ids. Hit the Start Migration option to complete the process.
When you are done with the migration, you may feel the need to run the procedure to migrate channels between Teams once again for different situations.
For this, the tool provides these options:
- Retry Failed Items: This feature is for migrating the failed or skipped items in the previous process.
- Re-Run Full Migration: If you want to perform the entire migration procedure again.
- Delta Migration: In case there are new files that arrive in your Channel and you want to transfer only the new data, this feature will migrate the files without creating duplicates.
Note: If you would Mark Teams Complete after teams migration. Then, these re-run migration features would not work further.
Features of the Migration Tool Highlighting it to Stand Out
When you migrate channels between Teams, there are various features that you can apply:
- You can easily migrate Channels, Channels Chats, Files, Teams, Groups
- Automatic creation of a new Teams or Channel in the destination
- Maintains the folder structure during the entire process & after migration
- The timestamps are maintained including Created & Last Modified Date
- The Delta Migration option migrates only the newly arrived data
- Use the software on Windows OS 10 (64-bit) & Windows Server 2012 & 2016
Also Read: How to Archive Office 365 Mailbox to PST Outlook File?
Why Is There A Need to Learn How to Move Channels in Teams?
Private channels consist of various important chats and files which are useful for various projects. Now, when you are moving to a new project, this information might come in handy for it.
This is where there may be a requirement for migrating the data to a new Team.
And this can happen for various different projects each time you are starting to work on a new one. So, learning to move the channels can prove to be useful after a certain point.
The need to perform how to move channels in Teams arise whenever there comes a new project wherein the previous data would be useful. For this situation, you should be able to migrate the data as per requirement.
But due to the lack of manual methods, users start panicking and they constantly search for a solution. The software explained in this article is quite useful for the end-users as it is easy to understand and so far, is the only method available.