Conversion of Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST Manually
In this article we will discuss the method to convert Lotus Notes NSF file to Outlook PST manually. Because of some complexities in Lotus Notes which create problems for its users, most of the organizations be it small or large are switching towards Microsoft outlook for their work. Therefore, we need to convert Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST so that we can continue to work with the same database in outlook.
Although both IBM Lotus Notes and Microsoft Outlook are popular email clients and are widely used by business organizations and enterprises to boost up or enhance their work and exchange of emails globally. But there are many reasons and mainly the growing popularity among email users, organizations and people are moving from Lotus Notes to Outlook. Both IBM Notes and Microsoft Outlook stores their database file in different NSF and PST file respectively. Therefore NSF files cannot be open in Outlook and PST file cannot be open in Lotus Notes. To access Lotus Notes database in Microsoft Outlook, you must have to make the migration from Lotus Notes to Outlook, either manually or by using some third party tool.
What is The Need to Convert Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST?
- Changing Email Platform
If the company changes its emailing application from Lotus Notes to Outlook to enhancing the productivity of their business. In that case, the email users wouldn’t be able to access their old database files of Lotus notes because of different file formats.
- Non–availability of Lotus Notes
If users would want to continue some of their pending works of office and using Lotus Notes as an emailing application there. Then if he has not installed Notes in his/her home, the NSF files cannot be accessed.
- Changing of Job
In case if a user changes the job and in earlier office, he was using lotus notes and the new company is using Microsoft Outlook. So to access and open the old files and emails of Lotus Notes, there is a need to convert NSF file
- Data Sharing becomes easy
In Microsoft Outlook, the exchange of emails or other items is much easier than in lotus notes. The users of Lotus Notes application requires more technical knowledge.
Manual Way to Convert Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST
Although there are several options available online to convert NSF file to Outlook PST format. All you need to get complete knowledge about it and choose the right solution for this email migration. I want to clarify that there are no direct manual solutions available for Lotus Notes NSF file to Outlook PST conversion. But we can use the import and export method for doing so. For converting NSF to PST file manually, you will have to
- Export Lotus Notes Database File
- Import the Exported File into Microsoft Outlook
To Export IBM Notes Database File
- Start IBM Lotus Notes application
- Open the Lotus Notes Database File .nsf
- From the menu bar, select File option and click on Export option there
- In the Export window, enter the location for new exported file. Click on Save as Type and choose either from Comma Separated Value or Structured Text
- Click on Export button
- After selecting file type, a dialog box will pop up. Click OK.
To Import Database into Microsoft Outlook
- Start Microsoft Outlook in your system
- From File menu option, click on Open
- Click on Import option from the list
- In Import and Export wizard, choose Import from another program or file from the list. Click Next
- Now Select the File Type to Import From which is comma separated value. Click Next
- Now Browse the created CSV file. Click Next
- Choose the Destination Folder in which you want to import data. Click Next. After complete processing click Finish.
Now you’ll be able to access NSF files in Outlook.
Automated Conversion of Lotus Notes NSF to Outlook PST
An important suggestion is to keep the original files backup from both applications lotus Notes and Outlook before performing any manual solution for conversion of NSF to PST. It is important because during this conversion process there is a chance to harming or losing your database. In case this manual solution doesn’t work properly or couldn’t make the complete conversion, then you can choose a professional tool for Lotus Notes NSF file to Outlook PST conversion. One such tool is SysTools Export Notes which is a complete solution to convert Lotus Notes database to Outlook PST file. You can use the demo version of the tool before buying it, it exports the first 25 items.