Migrate Exchange 2007-2013 to Office 365 with Step by Step Procedure
Office 365 an email client based on the cloud by Microsoft was launched to provide Exchange online services. Solutions to switch from on-premise email applications to Exchange online is the requirement of a majority of organizations. It is not easy to perform such switching operation because a lot of expertise along with time consumption is high. Hence, we are providing complete knowledge about why and how to migrate Exchange Server to Office 365.
Reasons to Migrate Microsoft Exchange to Office 365
Handling and controlling files on the Exchange server has been one of the major reason for migration. It is always a difficult to handle and control EDB files on the local machine for end-user. The problem of server maintenance cost has become a challenge as one tries to provide excellent performance to its users which adds to the already present problem. Various benefits are provided to end users after they switch to Exchange Online from on-premises server environment among them some are listed below:
- More availability is supplied by Microsoft Office 365 to users without any infrastructure expenditure. Email accounts are purchased for new clients while rest is easily managed by Office 365.
- O365 a cost-effective email client as it provides maintenance-free service while being available whenever and wherever required.
- Office 365 users need not worry about data loss or system failure due to unavoidable disasters or faults as high security of data on Microsoft cloud is provided.
Migrate Exchange 2007-2013 to Office 365 Step by Step
Performing migration of data from the EDB to Office 365 account, a solution is provided to users known as Hybrid Office 365 migration. By the aid of such techniques ability to perform Exchange Server to Office 365 migration and switching is available to the user. It is a five-step process for migration of EDB to Office 365 from Exchange server. The step-by-step scenario is listed below for Hybrid Migration:
Step #1: Discover a Migration Endpoint
First step first as the user is required to determine Exchange remote migration endpoints. These endpoints contain the on-premises exchange server connection settings, that is those are currently accessing the MRS proxy service which is required for the automatic Migration process.
Step #2: Open the MRSProxy Service
In case, on your Exchange 2013 on-premises client access servers the MRSProxy service is disabled then, below-given instructions are required to be followed in the Exchange admin center (EAC):
- Start Exchange-Admin Center and then go to Servers (section) -> Virtual Directories
- Now under Client Access Server select EWS directory and click on Edit a small pencil icon
- Find the checkbox of MRS Proxy and mark it to activate. After that Save settings so that changes made are saved on the server.
Step #3: Move Mailboxes by Using Exchange Admin Centre
Following instructions should be followed to migrate Exchange Server to Office 365 account while on-premises processing:
- Start the Exchange-Admin Center and then go to Office 365 -> Recipients -> Migration
- Click on Add (+) option and then choose Migrate to Exchange Online
- Click on Remote move migration in migration type page and click Next
- On the current screen, click on Add (+) button to highlight a user on-premises to migrate data to Office 365.
- Click on Add (+) -> OK -> Next to proceed further
- Mention required details in the credential page, for an on-premises administrator including password and name and click on Next button
Note: A confirmation page will pop-up after it successfully discovers migration endpoints.
- A confirmation page for confirming migration endpoint opens for verifying the on-premises Exchange server FDQN, Click Next to continue.
- In the required text field mention migration batch name and search and select target delivery domain by operating down arrow for the mailboxes migrating to Office 365. It is the generally used basic SMTP domain for O365 mailboxes.
- Take a look that move primary and archive mailbox options are enabled and hit Next to continue.
- At least one recipient must be chosen from the current page. A complete batch report can be received.
- Automatically start the batch option should be enabled and then mark the option for automatically complete the migration batch. Click on New button to proceed to next step
Step #4: Eliminate Completed Migration Batches
Completed batches of the migration procedure are recommended to be deleted for minimizing errors likelihood. Follow below-mentioned instructions to do so:
- Open EAC and select Office 365 -> Recipients -> Migration
- Select the completed migration batch to delete it.
- A confirmation dialog box for deletion will appear and then click on Yes for the completion
Step #5: Set Offline Mode of Outlook on The Web
Users can access their mailboxes even in absence of any network by enabling offline mode in OWA. One needs to reset the settings of offline access in their web browser for using Outlook on the web in an offline state.
Step #6: Confirm Exchange Server to Office 365 Migration
After completion of all above steps, users need to see that whether the procedure worked or not. The successful completion will indicate that migrating mailboxes is done as per requirements. Since the process migration gets completed after a certain time duration, therefore, you can verify working by opening EAC and going to Office 365 → Recipients → Migration to see the status of the procedure. If you found Status as Syncing then it means that process is still going on and if it is Complete then it means that EDB to Office 365 migration is successfully completed.
Note: Step (6) is not a part of Exchange Server to Office 365 procedure. It is an additional procedure to check whether migration is performed successfully or not.
The Other Way to Exchange EDB to Office 365 Migration
There are tools available that are well-designed and built only for this purpose. These tools work fine and perform the task perfectly as any manual method will do. Such as Exchange to Office365 Migrator. It is a professional application that can export emails, contacts, calendar and other mailbox items. A user can select between multiple accounts. There are multiple options in edb to office 365 migration to select between components, apply date-filter and facility to deleted data from the server. No file size limitation: Tested with 1500 + mailbox migration. The application can work on all the latest versions of Windows 10/8.1/8/XP/7 or earlier one for both 32 and 64-bit machines.
We provide you the manual migration approach as well as tools by which one can easily perform Exchange Server to Office 365 migration. There are simple solutions which can work within the company budget and within the time frame. There are different techniques available for Exchange Server Migration as mentioned in this post. If in case of any problem throughout the process of migration, comment below in the comment section as we are here to help you.