Top 3 Methods to Resolve Outlook Error: Exchange is Currently in Recovery Mode
Microsoft Outlook is mainly used in large organizations where all systems are connected to Microsoft Exchange Server. Outlook mail accounts connected to Exchange Server allow users to work in offline mode efficiently by creating an OST file or offline storage table. If there are any changes in the OST file data in offline mode, it gets synchronized with the server when a connection is established again. Working in offline mode is basically known as working in the cached Exchange mode. OST file is a copy of items stored on a Mail Server, therefore, it is not necessary to backup OST file data. However, whenever there is a problem in using the OST file in cached mode, it generates an error message i.e. “Exchange is currently in recovery mode”. This error creates trouble for users in accessing OST file data. Therefore, in this blog, how one resolve Outlook error Exchange is currently in recovery mode is discussed. Also, get the solution to Recover Damaged OST File
Reason Behind Error Exchange is Currently in Recovery Mode
There are some reasons due to which this Exchange is currently in recovery mode error occur in Outlook and all of them are discussed below:
- Whenever there are some inconsistencies occurs in the Exchange Database file i.e. there is a difference between the cached copy of mailbox data stored on the local machine or on the Exchange Server.
- If the cached Exchange mode is enabled while resetting Exchange Mailbox, then also this error generates. Moreover, it provides three options i.e. Work in Offline Mode, Work in Online Mode, and cancel the logon operation.
- If the cached Exchange mode is disabled while resetting the Exchange Server, then a new OST file if created by Outlook by maintaining old OST file on the local machine.
- There may be some configuration issue in server settings of Domain Name System.
- Network connectivity issue between client & the server.
- If in cached Exchange mode, client mailbox is migrated to some other Exchange Server.
Solutions to Resolve Exchange Recovery Mode Error
There can be various possible reasons to fix Exchange is currently in Recovery mode error and all of them are discussed below:
Solution 1: Disable & Enable Cached Exchange Mode
To fix this error, a user needs to disable Cached Exchange Mode and remove the OST file. After that, restart Microsoft Outlook and enable the cached Exchange mode. To do the same, follow the steps given below:
- First of all, open Outlook and click on Tools >> Account Settings
- After that, choose Mail Account >> Change option
- Then, under the Microsoft Exchange Server, disable Use Cached Exchange Mode option
- Now, delete the OST file by clicking on Control Panel >> Mail >> Profiles
- After that, click on Delete & recreate a new profile.
Solution 2: Create New OST File
If Exchange Server is changed, then you need to create a new OST file. It is because old OST file signature does not matched properly with the new Exchange Server database. To do the same, follow the steps given below:
- First, navigate to Control Panel >> User Accounts >> Mail
- Then, choose show profile option
- After that, click on Add and give name of new profile >> Click OK.
Solution 3: Recover & Export OST File
If any of the above method does not work properly, then it is suggested to recover OST file and export it to PST file format. As there is no direct solution available so, it is suggested to go for professional solution i.e. SysTools OST Recovery. It is a one-stop solution to resolve all type of error in OST file of Microsoft Outlook. The tool is programmed in such a way that it recovers all data items i.e. emails, contacts, calendars, etc., stored in OST file and export them to PST file format of Microsoft Outlook. Amazing utility with no file size limitations and very easy user interface. The tool is specially programmed to view Outlook OST file, recover and export to PST format.
The Bottom Line
Any error in Exchange Server can create a big problem for a user. One such type of error i.e. Exchange is currently in recovery mode can make it difficult for a user to access the OST file. Thus, in this blog, after understanding the reasons behind such errors, we have covered the top 3 methods to resolve Outlook error Exchange is currently in recovery mode. One can go for any of them based on their preference and the cause of error.