Remove Attachments from Thunderbird – Checkout All Possible Solutions
There are a lot of users who want to remove attachments from Thunderbird to keep the space free from their mailboxes. Attachments are files that are sent along with an email such as images, videos, doc files, spreadsheets, etc. Thunderbird is an email client that has a function to detach any attachment from a message. You will not have to delete the attachment by using the Detach feature provided by Thunderbird.
Although, using this feature, the attachments from Thunderbird will be deleted permanently and there will be no going back. You will be able to access these attachments via Thunderbird or any other email client for that matter of fact.
You will be shown methods to remove attachments from Thunderbird in this write-up. Let’s first take a look at a user query.
User Query: I have only 500MB of space on my IMAP account and I am not able to keep the important messages in my mailbox. There are a few attachments that are of no use to me along with some emails that are pretty important. I just want to remove these attachments from the emails so that I can keep the space clear for the emails. Is there any solution to get these removed without making any changes to the message body?
Moving on to the solutions.
Note: If you want to extract attachments to keep the space free and also save the attachments, you can make use of the MBOX Attachment Extractor Software and get all the required attachments extracted. Remember, the tool will only extract the attachments, not delete them from the messages.
Download Now Purchase Now
What Are the Solutions to Remove Attachments from Thunderbird?
You can make use of the Detach feature that Thunderbird has embedded along with other functionalities. This feature will delete the attachment permanently making it inaccessible in any email client, even Thunderbird. With the help of this feature, you can remove single or all of the attachments from an email message. Since, the attachments will be removed permanently, it is suggested that the users first save these attachments and then detach them from the emails.
Here, you will be given two methods; first to save the attachments, second one to detach single and all attachments. Let’s get started
How to Save Attachments Before Detaching Them?
Before you remove attachment from Thunderbird using the in-built feature to detach the files, you should save them to your local storage as the attachments will permanently be gone. For starting with the procedure to save the attachments before deleting them, follow the steps as mentioned below:
1. Open Thunderbird and choose the attachment you want to remove. Right-click on the attachment in the Attachments pane.
2. Choose Save As option to download only the selective attachments or select Save All option to download all the attachments.
3. After that, a dialog box will pop-up. In there, you have to enter a destination location for the end result.
4. You can also click on the File tab and choose Attachments option to save them.
5. Select Save As or Save All option as required and download the attachments.
6. There is another method which is the drag and drop method.
7. You have to select the attachment from the Attachment pane and drag it to the desktop.
8. Drop it there and it will be saved on your local storage.
Once you have downloaded the attachments, find out how to detach them now.
Working Guide to Remove Attachments from Thunderbird
As soon as you have saved the attachments separately from the emails, you can delete the attachments using the Detach feature. We will be explaining how you can remove a single or all the attachments using this feature. Go through the following instructions to delete the required files from the email messages easily:
1. Choose the attachment to be removed from the Attachments pane and right click on it.
2. From the menu, choose Detach or Delete options.
3. Or, go to the message containing the attachment you want to remove.
4. Click on the File tab and hit Attachments option from the drop-down.
5. Select the Detach or Delete option and the attachment will be deleted.
These are the steps to remove attachments from Thunderbird using the Detach Feature. The mentioned steps are not for Thunderbird 1.0x as there is no in-built feature that can delete attachments separately. The feature given in there will delete the entire email message along with the files you want removed.
Also, for deleting all the attachments from your emails, repeat the steps as discussed above and hit the Detach all or Delete all options. This way, all the email attachments will be deleted permanently.
It is important that you save your attachments before deleting them in case these could be of use in the near future or later sometime. We have mentioned the methods to save the attachments from the email messages so that you have them as backup. You can also use the attachments extractor as mentioned above before you remove attachments from Thunderbird since the method given will permanently remove them.