Open SQL Server Database Transaction Log File – How to Analyze it?
In what ways is it possible to open SQL server database transaction Log file? The log file that is created in an SQL Server database contains the details of the transactions that have been made. But why is it important for the SQL server to create a log file? It is because these days the cyber-crime is booming and many organizations are facing problems managing the server.
The data can be leaked due to a professional hacker or an ex-employee’s activity in the SQL server. This is why it is always suggested to users that they keep an eye on their log file. Now, as simple it may sound, it is not easy to read the log file of an SQL Server.
Here, we have an easy as well as some methods that require technical expertise. Let’s get into it!
Methods to Open SQL Server Database Transaction Log File
It is a fact that the log file keeps the users updated with the activities that happen in the SQL Server database. For the methods to analyze these files, we have two methods here that users can apply to complete the operation. Find these in upcoming section.
Now, let’s understand the working of each method.
Method 1 – Which is the Intelligent Solution to Read the Log File?
There are various methods that can help you with this task but are complex and need technical knowledge, if not, technical assistance may be required. This solution, on the other hand, helps to open SQL Server database transaction log file to identify if there are any changes in the record. Quickly open and analyze al the transactions that have been inserted, updated, or deleted in the Microsoft SQL server using the SQL Log Analyzer.
Download Now Purchase Now
There are various features offered by this tool such as:
- Open the log file even without having MS SQL server application
- Feature to quickly scan and examine the log file deeply for full visibility
- Option to fetch and view the records from the Live SQL database environment
- Selectively export transaction records using the Dynamic Filters after analysis
- Tool supports MS SQL server 2019, 2017, 2016, and below versions
Another amazing feature that the tool offers is that it can Detect who has Deleted the Data from your log file after scanning the entire file. You can also get the modified data back with the help of this tool.
Now, let’s understand the working steps of this software for an easy analysis of log files.
What Are the Steps to Open SQL Server Database Transaction Log File?
1. Launch the software and run it. Click Open to insert the files in the application.
2. Choose the Online Database option and select the server name from the list. Click on Authentication option and choose Select Database option from the drop-down arrow.
3. Mark the checkboxes beside the Tables to choose which to export and hit the Export option.
4. Choose the Insert, Update, or Delete option to check the transaction. Apply Date-Filters for selective export within a time-duration.
5. Select SQL Server Database option as the export type and enter the Database Credentials.
6. Set the destination location of the end results and enter a name if choosing Create New Database option. Hit Export to open SQL Server database transaction log file.
The tool makes it a quick process by completing the export process in a few minutes only and allows users to download the export report.
User Queries Solved by the Software
User Query 1 – When the news of cyber-crime rising became known, our organization started looking for effective solutions to read the log files. Though we have found a lot of solutions but some are way more technical or not as much effective. Please help us find a solution that can open SQL Server database transaction log file quickly.
User Query 2 – I have been trying to get to read my log files using almost all the known manual methods since a few days now. I have also tried a few tools but nothing has helped me view these files. Is there any solution that can perform the task without making any changes to the data? Please suggest something! Also, please remember that I need a solution that can help me view selective logs.
Now, let’s take you to the other method, which is the manual method, for performing the same task.
Method 2 – How to Read the Log Files Using the Function fn-dblog()?
This function can be used to extract the data from the log file of SQL server. The method that we are going to explain can be used on any version of SQL. Let’s now take a look at the steps:
1. First of all, open the T-SQL to read the values of the table.
2. Now, you can use the update command and then alter the table.
3. After that, open the table with the help the Select query and your table will be modified.
4. Here, you have to run the fn-dblog() command as per your requirement.
5. This way you can open SQL Server database transaction log file and analyze it.
The described method can help you to view the file but as you can see, it is quite a complex procedure and needs a lot of technical expertise. For the users who have no knowledge in the technical arena, it may be difficult for them to apply this method.
In a Nutshell
There are various methods you may find that help in analyzing the log files that contain all the transactions taking place in the SQL server. As discussed, the software makes it simple for users with no or less technical expertise to open SQL server database transaction log file. There are a lot of features and functionalities offers to the users.
Whereas, the manual method can be difficult for novice users to understand since it is a complicated and time-consuming procedure. It is recommended that the users stick to the smart tool for this operation.